pregnancy week by week

Friday, 14 March 2008

Bad Friday

I'm having what is commonly referred to as a 'data bundle' day where I work. I'm getting a lot of these queries today and they are generally notorious for being the worst kind of query. The customers that send through these kind of queries are often demanding and unreasonable. They don't take no for an answer and don't accept explanations. They will argue with you until you can't argue anymore. I have three of these queries sitting waiting for me right now. I'm working around them. Postponing the inevitable. Flitting around them, avoiding them until I have no choice but to call these customers and listen to their accusing tones.

The way customer's treat me affects me. I know I should let it roll off me, but it doesn't. I don't like being accused, held accountable, shouted at or threatened. I suppose nobody does. I take all the abuse because it's my job, but I can't stand it when people don't understand that they are speaking to a PERSON, not a computer. I can't be held responsible for business rules I didn't make or terms and conditions that I didn't write. Also, some people think that if you shout and are rude you are going to get what you want. I know for a fact that people who are treated with respect are more willing to help you than people who feel intimidated. I suppose a lot of people are just inarticulate.

There are other ways to bring across your frustrations. There are other ways of venting your anger. Stooping to petty name calling and exasperated shouting isn't going to get you anywhere. You can be calm, friendly AND firm. It is possible.

Be a nice customer. You might be surprised every now and then how far someone is willing to go to give you what YOU want.

No comments: