pregnancy week by week

Monday, 13 July 2009

Sad thoughts

Reading cathjenkin's blog post to her departed dad got me to thinking and got me to crying. It sounds like her father would have been a wonderful grandfather.

I am very fortunate that I have a wonderful grandfather. I was lucky enough to have a grandfather who LOVES me and wanted to teach me things, wanted to spoil me, wanted to watch me grow up, wanted to aid the process...he still does. He is an awesome grandfather. The.Best.Ever. He would take me on nature hikes and show me things. He would take me to the zoo. He would take me to a farm to go and see the horses. He would buy me books and encourage me to read.

My grandmother? A wonderful woman. Oh she is so wonderful. I love her so much. She would kiss my knee better when I scraped it. She would sew my button on after I'd ripped it off on some adventure. She would iron my bed so that it was warm when I got in, tumble dry my clothes and towel while I was in the bath so I could be snuggly and warm when I got out. She would rub Vicks on my chest and under my feet when I had a cold. She would make my hot water bottle. She would blow dry my hair while I wildly protested so I could look pretty for church.

They looked after me when My Evil Mother messed up (more often than not I'm sure). When My Evil Mother was in so much debt that we didn't have food to eat, they took me in. For years they carted me to and from school.

I can't even mention everything they have meant to me. How important they were in shaping who I am today (the good bits!)

I am terrified of losing them.

My child will not have the privilege I had. My Evil Mother...I don't even KNOW what I'm going to do about her and the relationship she will have with our child. Rudi's parents are OK and will love our child and spoil him/her...but it won't be what *I* had and I don't think it's selfish of me to want that wonderful experience for my child.

My grandparents aren't getting any younger. Perhaps by the time our child is old enough to start appreciating the experiences with them, they will be too old to make those things happen.

*sigh*

I guess I'll just have to be a much better parent. To make up for what our baby will miss out on. So sad.

6 comments:

c@th said...

You are going to rock the mama bus. And i promise you, your babe is going to be so so so loved. Already is.

XXX

AngelConradie said...

Your baby isn't going to miss out on a thing! He/ she won't necessarily have the same thing in terms of relationships, but with so much love around, baby won't even notice!!

Anonymous said...

You are very lucky to have had such wonderful grandparents. Really, and you know what they have taught you all you need to know to be a good mom...

I didn't have grandparents like that, and had a mom much like yours. I am nto the world's greatest mom, but I think I do ok... You will ROCK!

TexasBobbi said...

Your baby won't miss a thing.

acidicice said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I really appreciate it and can only hope I don't disappoint!

Jaxie said...

You will be a great parent.